Two days before injuring my knee at work I was asked if I'd be the 3rd member of the ACT's women's team for the half marathon championships in Sydney today. I said "okay" knowing that I wasn't in great half marathon shape (after having just run a marathon and a 50km) but also knowing that if I said "no" the ACT wouldn't have an ACT women's team (where are all the ACT Athletics registered women????). And then I got injured on top of that. Hmmmm ..... you can probably see where this is going ..... I um-ed and ah-ed for the last 2.5 weeks about pulling out but I knew that if I did then that would be the end of the ACT women's team. So, with a still sore knee and a significant drop in fitness, I decided to bite the bullet and "just do it". Ironically, when I fronted up to the start line today the ACT team's fastest female runner, Sarah McRae, told me that our other team member had pulled out yesterday with tonsilitis, and so we effectively didn't have a female team anyway. UGH!!!!!!!
Two minutes later the starter's gun went and we were off!
With the pressure to run as fast as I could suddenly lifted, and it being very warm and humid, I made a conservative start and ran a measured race. In other words I ran well within myself. I couldn't see the point in hammering my knee and/or smashing myself in the heat. I finished 4th in my age group in the not special, but not disgraceful, time of 95.36.
It's several years since I've run any of the Sydney Marathon Festival events. I'd like to run there again, perhaps even next year, but be in better shape to run well.
And now, back to where I was in my previous blog posts - ie, back to building my fitness up post injury and getting more of that cross training and strength work back into it.
3 comments:
That's a good effort all things considered. No damage done & time to " return to basics " Glad you enjoyed the run, byt the TV news plenty faded badly in the heat.
Good on you for doing that (running for the team, even if there wasn't a team). What about Michelle Wells though? Isn't she a member of Weston Creek?
I'd like to run there again too - perhaps the half next year. Anyway, take care of your knee and return to fitness.
You are very brave Liz. Well done on running the half in spite of your injuries. Do hope your knee recovers quickly with lots of cross training.
Post a Comment