Monday, September 12, 2011

Back To The Basics

Although my current knee injury is not as a result of running, it has set me to thinking about the flaws in my current training program. While I still do 2-3 core strength sessions each week, I’ve become very lazy with my cross training and strength work. In fact, both have been non-existent for about 18 months. I could almost put a date on it actually, as I did my last block of routine cross training and strength work when I was recovering from the massive damage I did to my legs when I ran the 84km Cradle Mountain ultra marathon in Tasmania in February 2010. When I recovered from that and went back to running I let all that complementary training just slip away. It wasn’t really intentional. It just happened. It happened partly because running is my passion, and cross training and strength work definitely aren’t(!), and it happened partly because I’m more time poor than I’ve ever been and running remains the easiest and most convenient form of physical activity for my chaotically busy life. But, I think I’m beginning to pay for my slackness in this respect. Over the past ~9 months in particular my running legs have felt more tight, more sore and more on the cusp of injury more often than ever before. And each time I’ve started to up the ante with tempo or interval work (I don’t actually do “speed” work) I’ve developed niggles and/or minor injuries. So, since I’m injured now, it seems like a good time to think about being proactive for when I’m fully repaired and ready to go again. Having a Masters in Exercise/Sports Science and access to unlimited resources and training programs, there’s no excuse and it’s not “too hard”. I’ve written myself a smart training program, which incorporates two “back to the basics” strength training sessions and two cross training sessions per week. I’ll do a blog update around Christmas time and report on how much of a difference this “back to the basic” approach makes to my running.

17 comments:

speedygeoff said...

It will. Make a big difference. that is. You and I and the running world need constant reminders: to continue to do what we love doing, we must also pay the price by doing some things we don't much like doing.

Ewen said...

I'll be interested to see if it makes your legs feel "less tight" and injury prone. I'm OK at the moment, but have had tight hamstrings/lower back in the past. Similar to you - don't enjoy it compared to simple running. Need to make games out of it! When I win Lotto I'll hire Emma or Heidi as a personal trainer.

speedygeoff said...

My comment settings, "Who can comment" ... are set to "Anyone". But I am always logged onto google anyway. So Liz your settings might be set to "user with google accounts". So if for example Steve or Ruth try to comment and haven't yet logged onto google for that session, this might explain why they are having problems. Can you go into blogger .. settings and see what your "Who can comment?" setting is. Changing it to "anyone" isn't a problem, now that blogger detects spam comments.

speedygeoff said...

Oh, and Liz, while you're there, please remove that "apples" email address. It's still there.

Jog Blog said...

Hi everyone

I've made all the settings changes speedygeoff, Ewen and Bloggerhelp have suggested, and I've removed the old "apples" email address. Hopefully everyone will be able to post comments now. Please give it a go and let me know if all is okay.

And Two Fruits! How could I possibly be cranky with you??? You're one of my favourite crazy ultra running mates! Welcome back - to Canberra and my blog :)

speedygeoff said...

Good on 'ya, that was quick...

speedygeoff said...

...and it works, they will be so pleased. Ruthy, tell me you are having no more problems!

Ewen said...

I suspect this will be better!

Ewen said...

Yes! Also faster :)

Prestige said...

Love the shoe tree. In full bloom.

Two Fruits said...

This is the big test. Please let this work as it should. Liz, take care with the knee and look forward to a good summer of running. And ducking maggies.

strewth said...

Here goes! Fingers crossed, please please work for me:) Liz, I find Body Balance classes are good for stretching and pilates/abs type exercises. Hope to catch up for coffee soon. :)

strewth said...

Woo hoo - yay, yay - it works! Thank you Liz and everyone for your help. Now we're cooking with gas!!

strewth said...

PS: 14 comments - now, that's pretty impressive. You might catch up with Ewen yet:)

softshoeshuffle said...

Liz I have a contant battle with over tight legs, hip flexors and adductors so I'd be interested in any program that would help.

I've been a slacker for a long time and neglected stretching etc. Only recently have I figured out that if I want to keep running then I need to do these things every day. Or I'm gonna snap!

Jog Blog said...

Oh how fabulous that the comments feature is working again. Yey! Makes me feel like either I or everyone else is "back from the wilderness". Thank you friends!

Two Fruits said...

Yep, back in business !