As a favour to my best friend GEM, who twice a week rides her bike alongside me while I run, I agreed to fill in for her D Grade social basketball team last night. I'd never played before, and despite having less than zero skill, it was a hoot! I was fine with the dribbling, blocking, passing and general ball handling skills, but I couldn't shoot for nuts! Apart from needing more practice (LOTS!) at shooting, it also made me realise how weak my overhead upper body strength is. I've been invited to keep playing with GEM's team (they must be desperate!) and so I'm going to treat it as a great opportunity to build on my upper body strength at the same time as having a good laugh every Tuesday night.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Left Court
As a favour to my best friend GEM, who twice a week rides her bike alongside me while I run, I agreed to fill in for her D Grade social basketball team last night. I'd never played before, and despite having less than zero skill, it was a hoot! I was fine with the dribbling, blocking, passing and general ball handling skills, but I couldn't shoot for nuts! Apart from needing more practice (LOTS!) at shooting, it also made me realise how weak my overhead upper body strength is. I've been invited to keep playing with GEM's team (they must be desperate!) and so I'm going to treat it as a great opportunity to build on my upper body strength at the same time as having a good laugh every Tuesday night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I like the self portrait. Sounds like fun, but don't pull a hammy sprinting for the ball a week before Canberra. I played a season of social basket ball when I was living in Sydney - only scored a handful of goals, but my defence was good.
Well done on giving it a go. Sounds like fun and great "different" exercise:)Also I expect your speed and agility will be a big plus for the team!
Don't worry, the way I "play" basketball there is no sprinting, speed or agility :)
Sounds like fun!
Post a Comment