Tuesday, March 24, 2015

To Ballarat and Back

We had my mother-in-law's funeral on Friday 13 March. It was sad but lovely as all "good" funerals are. She is now at peace.

A couple of days after that I went to Ballarat to spend a few days with my 81 year old mum and to have lunch with my brother in Melbourne before he goes overseas for a couple of months.

In between, I ran short and easy, my theory being that the mind and body are all closely connected and that being exhausted either mentally or emotionally or physically = being exhausted per se. I was indeed exhausted.

Implementing that theory and having a very easy 7-10 days of running/gym-ing seemed to work well for me in that one day after I got home I ran the Weston Creek 1/2 Marathon. It's not an easy 1/2 marathon as it is quite undulating and so I was very happy to finish in 1.42.

What's next?? Well, in terms of home and work, it is time for us to drag ourselves up by our shoelaces and get back to some kind of (new) normality. In terms of running .... well .... although I'm not marathon fit, I'm going to take a gamble and run the Canberra Marathon on 12 April.

3 comments:

Ewen said...

Hope you gave your mum our best wishes :)
Good pics - you look to be enjoying it, and 1:42 is well under 5 min ks, which is fast! Hope the marathon goes just as well. Agree with all exhaustion or stress whether mental or physical is the same. That's why I'm looking forward to retirement!

strewth said...

After such a stressful number of weeks, Liz, you ran the half brilliantly. The photos are great. Here's to a successful marathon.

Jog Blog said...

Thanks Strewth and Ewen. I haven't done enough training for the Canberra Marathon - ie, no long runs. I will be suffering big time from 25km onwards. But hey, life's a gamble! :)