Monday, March 9, 2015

Running Therapy

All my running life - ie, 30+ years - I've said that running makes a good day better and a bad day better. In times of great sadness the latter is particularly true and shows how important running can be in helping us runners "hold life together". This last week, Special K's mum (Shirley) passed away. It was not unexpected and yet, you are never really ready for someone to go; for it to be the end. I remember this feeling so well when my dad, Big Bob, passed away in 2011.

http://jogsjogblog.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/big-bob.html

Since Shirley's death, we've been caught up in the whirlwind of emotions and practicalities that come with death and arranging funerals etc. This morning however, Special K and I took some time out to run the Sri Chinmoy 10km fun run. It's an old favourite of ours even though it is a pretty hilly course and impossible to run a PB on (even an age/gender relative PB!). Today we both enjoyed the nostalgia of the event and the temporary freedom from worry and stress that running gives you while you are doing it. As it happened, we also both ran ok today - ie, ok in the relative sense on a non PB type course. Special K finished in 44.49 (6th male in the >50s age group) and I finished in 46.50 to win the female >50s age group. (More pleasing perhaps was the fact that I placed 8th female outright although Sri Chinmoy never record all ages outright placings.)

There were a lot of other nice running related aspects to this morning's event - ie, catching up with running mates (particularly Ewen who reminded me how long it has been since I updated my blog - thanks Ewen :)), enjoying the lovely early Autumn sun, and of course the post race pancakes!!! And while as soon as we stepped foot in the door at home we were reminded of all that we have to face up to prior to the funeral this week, this morning's run really was good therapy. Thank you running :).

4 comments:

Ewen said...

So sorry to hear that Liz. You're so right though - running does make bad times better. Well maybe not the bad times that are slow race times ;) It was good to see you on Monday, enjoy a friendly run and the pancakes and fruit :)

Jog Blog said...

Thanks Ewen. I think we are VERY overdue for a Ruth, Cathy, Two Fruits post run coffee @ the war memorial coffee shop one Sat soon.

Two Fruits said...

Probably be in May before I get a free Sat morning. But looking forward to catching up again.

Jog Blog said...

May!? Two Fruits, what are you doing and where between now and then? Hope you are running along well and happy.