Saturday, January 3, 2015

End of 2014 - Start of 2015

Thank goodness for running diaries! Without mine I would not be able to do an accurate "year in review" summary.

January

The year did not get off to a great start after I fractured my pelvis a week before Christmas (2013). The fracture was across the sacrum which not only meant that it was extremely painful but it was also very limiting in terms of every day activities (like hobbling to the bathroom!) not to mention cross training (try sitting on a bike with a broken butt! - Ouch!). So, really, from January onwards things had to get better - surely?!

February

By February I'd eased into and started to build up some decent cross training sessions. I was trail walking/hiking, elliptical running and bike riding. My longest bike ride got up to 35kms and my longest trail walk/hike was a hilly 26km. By the end of February - ie, 7 weeks post fracture - I started my return to "running" which consisted of 2km @ 6min/km on a dead flat surface. WOW! I had a long road back in front of me.

The highlight of February was doing the 50km team Coastrek trailwalk on 28/2/14 in Sydney with my team "The Skinny Flat Whites" which included Cathy N, Kerrie T and Jen B.

March

I spent March being remarkably measured and consistent with building up both my cross training and my running, and keeping a proportionate mix of both. My memory tells me and my diary confirms it, that this was a real "one step forward, one step backwards" month as every time I started to push my limits (with either the cross training or running) I had renewed pain in my pelvis/sacrum. At times this was frustating. However, it served as the best gauge there was for how much I could do and how soon (or not as the case often was).

April

April training was an extension of March's. However, it also included a very spur of the moment decision to enter the Canberra Half Marathon. To say I was half marathon unfit would be the understatement of the year. Still, I gave it a good shot and finished in 1.45 without re-fracturing but in significant pelvic pain.

May

The latter part of April was a "one step backwards" time after the half marathon but once I got back to pre half marathon repair I noticed a significant improvement in my general fitness (as opposed to run specific fitness), and I felt smiley for the first time in 6 months.

On 11 May I ran the Hobart Mother's Day Fun Run on a very hilly course finishing in 40mins which was very pleasing. For the rest of the month I kept to my mix of running and cross training but I started to stretch some of my runs out and got my "long" run up to 20km.

June

By June I was running almost pain free. Whoo Hoo! On 8 June I went to the Goldcoast to crew for Pam in her 100km run. I figured I may as well get a decent long run in while I was there and ran the 25km event as I knew she wouldn't need much crewing in the early part of the day. I was happy to run it in 2.09.

Following that, some old fashioned obsessiveness set in, and I headed to Torquay and ran the inaugural Surfcoast Trail Marathon, which was actually 43.5km. This was a slow course - ie, there were several points where runners lost 5+mins at a time while marshalls held us up until the tide was low enough for us to pass on the high side of the dunes. Still, I loved it! I also really enjoyed the weekend with my sister-in-law and nieces and nephew, and catching up with my ex-Kep running mate, Tash, from Melbourne.

July

July was pretty uneventful as the middle of winter often is for me - ie, it's such a struggle to get out the door at 5.30am/6am in the cold and dark. It's always an achievement just to get through July and August with consistent training. This was indeed one of those Julys.

August

Because I struggle so much with Canberra's winter, I'm always looking for a warm running escape and early August gave it to me in the form of the Brisbane Half Marathon. This was the first time I'd done this event and I thoroughly enjoyed the river and bridges focus of the event. Being 2/3rds of the way through a re-building fitness year, I was happy to run it in 1.43. It was also good to spend a weekend with my mum in Brisbane visiting my brother who recently moved there.

At the end of August I ran another 1/2 marathon - ie, the Vets 1/2 Marathon at home - and again ran 1.43, which I took to be an improvement on Brisbane since the course was much more undulating.

As if that wasn't enough 1/2 marathon running, I then went on to run the inaugural Wingello Trail 1/2 Marathon on 31 August. This was a tough run on a poorly marked course. It was actually 23.5km for the 30+ of us who took a wrong turn. Having said that, it was a pretty detour and the course overall was lovely. It just equated to a long, slow half+ marathon - ie, 2.12 for me.

September

The first week of September was a recovery week as I eased back after three half marathons in four weeks.

Wanting a break from the demand of 21.1km events, but not having done any interval, tempo or speed work all year, it was somewhat of a gamble to enter the Canberra Times Fun Run in September. But, Special K loves the Canberra Times Fun Run and I often run it with/for him. This year was his 31st Canberra Times Fun Run and so it was particularly special. I was glad I did it as I stunned myself by running 45mins :).

October

Before I knew it, it was October and time for another 1/2 marathon and another combined running/family/socialising trip away. This time it was Melbourne. Again I ran 1.43 but I felt somewhat ripped off as this was an amazingly congested race and I'm sure I could have run <1.42 if it hadn't been so crowded. I really think commercial interests have overtaken runner interests in some of these capital city events and I won't be running this one again. Having said that, I had a terrific time with Cathy N, Ruth & Dave B, & Ewen T etc wining and dining, and shopping etc.

November

November was "plod along" training up until the inaugural Lifeline 1/2 Marathon. This was a really disappointing run for me. I ran a great first 13km (ie, 4.45min/km pace average) but then the wheels fell off in 39deg heat. I ended up jog/walking the last 5+km. Lesson learnt (again!) re: heat and pacing.

December

December = end of year tired (particularly when there's been no holiday from work in 18+ months) and winding down. The December focus for me for the last 3 years has been on crewing at Coast to Kosci, which it was again this year - ie, 4th year in a row. This time I was crewing for Pam again. She ran a great ~120km but then the wheels fell off. She was more and more sick/vomiting, and more and more dizzy. At about 160km she fell flat on her face (literally!) and things deteriorated so much so quickly that we decided to withdraw her. That was all hard, tiring and emotionally tough.

After C2K there was only 3 weeks of the year left which pretty much brings me to the end of 2014. Fortunately, at the end of December 2014 I was running in less pain and more happy than the start of 2014. What more can a runner want?

I'm looking forward to running through 2015. I hope all my running mates and blog followers are too :)

5 comments:

Ewen said...

You couldn't want much more Liz.
Good year, and yes, thanks for running diaries!
Hope to catch up 'soon' for coffee!

strewth said...

Wow Liz that was a great summing up of 2014. It certainly had its ups and downs for you but you have come out stronger than ever with some fantastic results during the year! You should be very proud and happy! Here's to an injury free 2015 and lots of coffee and brekkie catch ups. xx

Jog Blog said...

Thanks Ewen and Strewth. I hope we can all maintain our blogging during 2015 too. Mine was a bit "hit and miss" this year and yet I still like blog catch ups much more than Facebook posting. I think it's because my blog community is smaller and more running orientated than my broader FB friendship group. As for brekkies and coffee - more is definitely better - & I figure that if some of us are building up to the Canberra marathon then post long run coffee on Saturday mornings may start to work for all of us again. BTW, Ruth, are we doing brekkie with Cathy this week?

Two Fruits said...

Great read Liz on what has been a busy year for you. Seems like some consistency & coffee are the secret to a successful year. Must try both as 4 months or more of injury means next to no running.
Good luck & best wishes in 2015.

Jog Blog said...

For me Two Fruits, the big lesson learnt has been the mix of cross training and running, which has meant less running. I've been preaching this for years but not practicing it. The fractured pelvis gave me no choice but to learn it for myself. It was a blessing in disguise. Also, I now find that I enjoy my running more :). Let's catch up for a running chat on the trails some time soon.