Saturday, September 7, 2013

Contemplating a Break with My Running Tradition

I've been a traditional shorts and t-shirt runner for 30+ years. But more and more of my (female!) running mates have become converts to the running skort - ie, sports skirts with inbuilt running/bike shorts. They tell me they are great - ie, comfy, don't dig in, don't rise up, don't chaf and, and, and ..... Oh, and apparently "they are more feminine" than shorts. But, I don't have ANY of those cited problems with my running shorts and I just can't see the appeal on feminine grounds or any other grounds. A skirt is something I wear to work! It's not something I associate with running - or certainly not my running. I think I need more opinions. What do you reckon girls (and/or guys)??? Should I road test a running skort?

7 comments:

Ewen said...

Some runners do justice to skirts, some don't. I'm a short shorts man really. And there ARE running skirts (kilts) for men. Perhaps I should start a trend?!

Jog Blog said...

I'm going to ignore the "short shorts" imagery and go with your net view that shorts are better than skirts. Of course it supports my argument to do so :)

Please Ewen .... you don't need to road test the male equivalent and so forget running in a kilt for all our sakes :)

Finally (but VERY importantly) I see you ran well in the CT 5km today Ewen. Nice work! I was happy with my "little old lady" result of 66mins for the 14km too.

What's next? What's next??

Two Fruits said...

I can't see ( may be the wrong word) the benefit of a running skort. Seems to be more flowing material which I imagine would be distracting. I think it's just another fashion trend, you may like the change.

Ewen said...

But I've heard the running kilts don't have in-built under shorts, which might be an advantage (in pit-stops?).

Next is Blackmores Half as a training run - not sure after that.

Jog Blog said...

My sentiments exactly Two Fruits - ie, extra material and a fashion trend - for which you can pay double the price of shorts.

Your second comment Ewen has made the imagery even more scary. Stop! Please .....

Cecilia said...

If you're happy in shorts, then stick with them! I personally don't see the advantage of running skirts at all, and think they may just be a trend!

Jog Blog said...

Thank you Cecilia for your comment. I'm sooooooooooooo inclined to agree with you and yet my running skirt friends continue to pressure me to give the skort thing a go.

BTW, I didn't know you were one of my followers. Perhaps you will share your profile/blog??

Cheers
Jog.