Friday, September 13, 2013

Canberra Times Fun Run

This a bit of a belated post re: the Canberra Times 14km Fun Run that I ran last Sunday.

This was my second race back after 3+ months of injury repair and rehabilitation post the ruptured Baker's Cyst inside my left knee cap. The fact that it was the second race in two weeks meant that it was somewhat of a risky enterprise; particularly since my first race back (the weekend before) was a half marathon. As it turned out, I ran almost exactly the same pace for the Canberra Times 14km as I did for the Dubbo Half Marathon and with almost exactly the same amount of comfort. I was pleased (read: relieved) about both.

Although I pulled up quite well from both events I've had a very easy training week this week. There were lots of good reasons to take it easy and no reasons not to.

So .... running seems to be going ok at the moment but I know I need to be careful to maintain the running/cross training formula that has brought me to this point because I know that any shift in the equation to more running and less cross training is going to pay out on me. I've repeated that failed behaviour so many times over the last 3 years that I think I've finally "got it". But, if I can run a ~100min half marathon off this type of training which is about where I'm at now then I'm happy with that :) I don't need to be doing marathons or ultras right now.

That all brings me to "what next?" ..... Well, Special K and I are going to combine a visit to my mum in home town Ballarat in October and have a bash at another country event there - ie, the Run Ballarat 12km.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

12k is the perfect 'long' distance race if you ask me. Half marathons take too long (for me) these days. Say 'hi' to your Mum. A shame Ruth scheduled her New York Marathon to clash with Ballarat ;)