Sunday, May 15, 2011

Capital I's 18th Birthday Party

Last night we had Capital I's 18th birthday party in our backyard. What a production! And what an event! It all went remarkably well, mostly I think because of the planning and $$ we put into it - marquee hire, outside heating, paid and licensed security guards, port-a-loo hire etc, etc. The end result .... ~60 X 18yr olds had a loud, drunken, fun time, without any "incidents" and without any gate-crashers. Whew!

Prior to the 18th birthday party I ran 31km with Pam, followed by a nice catch up coffee with Ruth, Ewen and CJ. It was a pity that my participation in coffee was a bit rushed but I had to get home in time for the party hire delivery and set-up.

Needless to say today has been a recovery day in all senses. After going to bed at 3am, I jogged slow, easy and short this morning, and then spent the remainder of the day cleaning up and catching up.

I'm glad Capital I's party went well and it was lovely that so many of the guests thanked us and said it was well organised and fun. Sometimes the media and social commentators have us so convinced that teenagers/young adults are so random and wanton that "well organised" and "fun" must be contradictory concepts to them. It was nice to see that they had their kind of fun at the same time as being considerate to us and our property, and genuinely thankful to us for providing them with a safe environment to socialise the way they want to socialise when they are 18yr old birthday partying.

I'm looking forward to an early night tonight safe in the knowledge that I have another 18 months before Little A's 18th birthday party and we are faced with doing it all (or similar) again.

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Glad it went well. Thought so when I didn't hear any gate-crash news items on 666 this morning. Sounds like all appreciated the planning and effort you put into it. Happy 'recovery'!

strewth said...

Phew - hope you sleep well tonight! You should be congratulated on all that great organisation, obviously well worth the effort. One down, only one to go - you're doing well!