I'm just back from spending a few days in Ballarat visiting my parents. The main reason for the visit this time was to see my dad who has commenced his palliative care journey. As with all my blog entries, it would be nice to be able to put a positive spin on this one, but I can't. The beginning of the end is bleak no matter how you look at it. From here on in it's about minimising pain and maximising comfort for him.
Typically (and appropriately?) the weather was also bleak - overcast and cold. But my routine running (all rugged up!) helped me maintain some sense of normality and gave me headspace to think about the big things in life, and death.
And although it is not a silver lining for me, because it is hard to see a silver lining when it is one of your family members who is pained and getting close to the end, Mother Nature has a way of lifting your spirits with positive images of the life cycle - ie, these adorable little cygnets.
2 comments:
We were thinking about you & your mum. A very tough time indeed. I think being able to run and clear the head helps.
My love and thoughts are with you Liz and your beautiful mum. I agree that running is a great panacea. It does help to maintain equilibrium and be at peace with yourself during difficult times. xxxx
Post a Comment