Monday, March 14, 2016

Marathon Training Progress (Not) & Sri Chinmoy 10km

My Canberra marathon training has been somewhat up and down over the last couple of months courtesy of being unwell. I'm still having a range of tests to get to the bottom of all of that.

Most of my Canberra Marathon running mates have been doing a lot more training than I have. I'll continue to do what I can up until 2 weeks beforehand and then I'll make a call on it - ie, go with what I have/haven't done or postpone my 12th Canberra Marathon to another year. While the honour of running as a Griffin is always an incentive (read: pressure) I'm not going to succumb to it if I'm not in decent enough marathon shape.

So, that's a brief account of the recent past and the near future.

Today ........ I ran the Sri Chinmoy 10km in very hot, humid conditions. And while I had no expectations of self going into the event, I felt like I really struggled. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for every other >50yr old female I still managed to come 1st in the female 50-59yrs age group in a time of 48.15.

5 comments:

Ewen said...

Liz, great to see you yesterday but sorry to hear you haven't been well. Hope the cause is nothing serious. I'm sure you'll do the right thing re starting/not starting the marathon. Congrats on your win yesterday! I was sweating big time, so happy I ran the 4k.

Jog Blog said...

Was looking for you at the finish Ewen but you'd already gone :(

I hope you were one of the 4km runners who turned at the (unmarked) turn around and didn't over run it(?).

Let's organise weekend coffee with Ruth et al some time soon(?)

Ewen said...

Sorry about that. Didn't feel like hanging around - yes, I was a sheep! Heard the turn was 'near the bridge' but nobody at the drink stop telling people to turn, so I followed others over the bridge. Thought the turn might be just over the bridge, but kept following people until I'd had enough and yelled out to those ahead to turn back. So, a 5.25k run for me when I was hoping for 4.

Jog Blog said...

Ugh! That sux. Sri Chinmoy uncharacteristically stuffed up :(. They are soooooooooooo embarassed & humbled :(

I'm crewing @ the 48hr @ the AIS this weekend so perhaps coffee Sat 2 April - ie, after Easter & before Canberra Marathon? Let's liaise via txt msg with Ruth et al.

Ewen said...

Yes, I feel sorry for them. Everyone loves their events. Saturday 2 April sounds good for me too.