Rather than trying to do a day by day catch up of the last month, which many of my running mates would agree is toooooooooo daunting when you've let your blog slip for awhile (right Strewth/Ruth?? :)), I'm just going to pick out a few noteworthy happenings and move on.
As many of you would know, I am definitely not a lunchtime runner. I'm an early morning runner through and through - always have been, always will be. Occasionally I run after work but normally only because of exceptional circumstances like having to fly interstate at stupid-o'clock in the morning for work. But I virtually never run at lunchtime. Anyway .... for unique reasons/circumstances I've been forced to run at lunchtime a couple of times in the last month. By "forced" I mean that if I didn't run at that time then I'd have missed my run completely. While each time I really struggled with the motivation to get changed into my run gear and get out there, each time I did, I actually enjoyed it. It also gave me the opportunity to run with a couple of different running mates who routinely run at that time of the day. It was in effect an entre into their world of run training. So, it was a pleasant surprise in terms of enjoyment. However, "old habits die hard" and I certainly won't make a habit of it, and the hassle of getting showered and changed back into business clothes (including re-doing my make up etc) just adds to the disincentive.
The second noteworthy "event" of the last month was my last minute decision to enter the Australian Running Festival Half Marathon. I only went in it because Special K was entered and by some fluke or other I seemed to be fit enough to make it over 21km - not fit enough to do it fast, but fit enough to start and finish. Given that backdrop, my goals were to (a) finish without re-fracturing my pelvis (after all, it was my first run event post the repair of my pelvic fracture), and (b) have both the discipline and the endurance to sit on 5min/km pace throughout. I was content to achieve both :) :)
Finally, the third and most recent noteworthy "event" was my and Special K's trip to the Blue Mountains for Easter. While it was always intended to be a hiking weekend and not a running weekend, it turned out to be good quality training for our running. We chose very tough, hilly hikes and did three of them three days in a row. Essentially, it was good old fashioned strength training amid some of the most awesome scenery in the world.
So .... there you go. That brings my blog up to date :).
4 comments:
Go Liz. Great update and yes I am a naughty girl and really should update my very very long overdue blog:(
Strewth, we believed you ran the marathon on no training at all. Well done.
Very happy you only caught up with "a fedw noteworthy happenings"! Always look forward to reading your blog. When Ruth catches up I won't read that post because it'll be too LONG! Yes, that's why I don't run at lunchtime - putting the makeup back on would be a pain in the arse.
Ugh! I've fixed that typo Ewen. And get ready ... next blog update coming later today/tonight. I'm on a roll :).
Post a Comment