Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Run Ballarat

Special K and I went to Ballarat on the weekend to visit my mum and to have a run in the Run Ballarat 12km. We both thoroughly enjoyed Run Ballarat. It was sooooooooooo well organised, runner focussed and community orientated. It seriously put all the big commercial, capital city, fundraising type events to shame. Plus ... and it's a BIG plus ... somehow or another I managed to run more briskly than I have for the last few years! I finished the 12km in 52.12! I certainly wasn't expecting that :)

Pictured here with me, Special K (right) finished in 51.30 and my big brother, Alistair (left), who came from Melbourne for the event, finished in 62.00. While we all thought the course was a couple of hundred metres short, I was still super pleased with my run and both Special K and Alistair were happy with theirs.

Perhaps one of the reasons why my Run Ballarat 12km result was better than I expected was because I haven't been running much and what running I have been doing has been short. In addition to that, I've been doing some intervals on the cross trainer. I'm wondering if that combination has freshened up my running and enabled me to increase my aerobic capacity without smashing my knees by trying to run fast in training. Post event today my knees are telling me that all of this could in fact be the case - read: they are sore from running "fast" (my definition) today. Regardless, I'm happy with the result and pretty confident that my post event knee pain can be resolved pretty easily if I am smart with recovery this week.

Apart from Run Ballarat, we had a lovely Ballarat weekend overall. It was nice to catch up with various family members and on the "Ballarat scale" of cold weather, it was "pleasant" (but boy! that is a relative measure :) ).

Here's a pic of Special K and me at the finish of Run Ballarat with mum.

3 comments:

Jog Blog said...

Today I found out that I came 1st in my age group - ie, 50-59yrs - and that I was 15th female outright. Since over the last few years I've had more DNSs and/or DNFs than placings I feel vindicated in commenting on that :)

Ewen said...

Wow, well done! Great time and place. Good photos - the shirts look like they fit. Your mum's looking good too!

Jog Blog said...

Yes Ewen, Bev is doing pretty well, although you can't see her arm in plaster in this pic (had a spill in the street). The plaster came off yesterday and she's on the mend :) We'll have to organise a Ballarat/Melb catch up with her some time.