Sunday, May 12, 2013

Starting Anew with Mothers Day

I've done some decent training sessions over the last couple of weeks in preparation for the Kep 100km. It's only 3 weeks now until the event and so I really only have one more week of proper training before my taper starts. Essentially I'm getting to the point where if it's not done, it's not done. Any hard training after the end of this week is more likely to do harm than good - ie, add fatigue and/or risk injury. By most ultra runners' standards I probably haven't done enough long, long runs but with my osteoarthritis I have to go with shorter long runs rather than long, long runs or I'd end up only being able to do 1-2 runs (of any distance/duration!) per week. I have however been doing some days of double sessions - eg, run + gym or run + trail walk - and I'm hoping those put me in good stead physically and mentally to get through the event. After all, getting through the event is all I want to achieve.

This week as I start my last solid week of training I will also be doing another couple of new things. I will be doing a few more runs in my new road Hoka One shoes after having been totally converted to the Hoka technology since getting my Hoka trail shoes a month or so ago. I will also be starting the Michelle Bridges (MB) 12 week body transformation (12wbt) program. Don't panic. I'm not trying to lose weight.Fortunately, MB has a range of different programs and I'm doing the increasing strength/tone/power one. I'd like to achieve an increase in my strength per se but I'd also like to make some positive, nutritious changes to my diet. This seems a good way to try and do both of those things, particularly since several of my good friends are also doing the 12wbt program, all with their own goals, and the whole "team" feel seems fun and motivating so far. The only thing is, I think I'm going to be hungry - particularly pre and post the Kep 100km. I'm giving myself permission to stick within the MB nutrition guidelines but double my intake around that time as the kilojoule allowance will fall way short of what my body needs before, during and just after that event.

Finally, today is Mothers' Day. It's not an occasion that is made much of a fuss of in my house :( but it is nice that there is such a day when most of the population pauses to think of how valuable mums are. To mine and all the other mums, "Happy Mothers Day" :)

5 comments:

Jog Blog said...

Celebrating Mother's Day started late in the day for me/us - ie, @ dinner time. It was well worth the wait though. We had a lovely restaurant dinner & I received a very indulgent present - CD/Ipod player/docking station. Thanks Capital I and Little A. Totally love you :) XXXXX

Ewen said...

You were spoiled! Are the Hoka road shoes the Bondi? Apparently they're a bit wider than the old model. I'll have to try on a pair next time I'm in Wagga - shame they don't sell them in Canberra!

Jog Blog said...

I bought the Bondi Speed & I'm a little disappointed in them. They are wider than my trail Hokas :( But ... they are still kinder to my dicky knees than any "conventional" shoes.

strewth said...

I bought mine in MIttagong at the warehouse there. I really must get back to running in them again. That CD/pod player was an awesome MD pressie Liz. You deserved to be spoiled. Hope you are coping without your diet coke!

RunnerCJ said...

Yep I think it's a good idea to increase your calorie intake pre and post long runs. We don't want you keeling over from hunger!