Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Spoke Too Soon"

For ~10 days after the Bush Capital 21km "special event" I continued to train well and was back in the groove with my regular sessions and training groups. But then ..... I was a bit over zealous with the gym work last Friday and did some serious damage to my right hamstring. The extent of the damage is somewhat irrelevant in that the impact and the repair strategies are the same whether it's a bad strain or a bad tear. So .... I've been on the bike and the cross trainer this week.

This running year really hasn't turned out how I was expecting it to so far. However, I am still keeping fit and enjoying doing various types of non-running training. I could let myself get in to the depressed groove of "but it's not running" and "nothing is the same as running" but what would be the point of that? I can't change the osteoarthritis in my knees and I can't hurry the repair of an injured hammie. All I can do is enjoy each of the three gyms I'm now a member of, work on improving other fitness parameters - ie, strength and flexibility - and concentrate on training myself in one of those other essential endurance event attributes - ie, patience.

3 comments:

Ewen said...

Bloody hell! What a lot of old crocks we are. You with a buggered hammie, Ruth with a mystery illness and me with a serious man cold!

I learnt patience long ago grasshopper. When I was in 5th class my mum used to take me grocery shopping - all over town with a list for the cheapest items!

speedygeoff said...

Me too. But the young people in my training group are all flying!

Jog Blog said...

Thank you Ewen. You made me laugh out loud :)

Speedygeoff, we were all young and flying once. Good luck to the young ones. "Seize the day" I say because "every dog has his day".

Two Fruits, spring is coming and the spring in our step will return for all of us I'm sure :)

Patience my friends, patience ....