Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Griffin Marathon





There is so much I could say about my run in Sunday’s Canberra Marathon. First and foremost, it was fantastic to finish my 10th Canberra Marathon and to become a Griffin (ie, Canberra Marathon finishes X 10). Prior to last Sunday’s marathon there were lots of male Griffins but only 2 females. On Sunday, Pam and Ruth joined me in boosting the female membership up to 5. There’s a fine line between being proud and being egotistical but I think in this case it is fair and reasonable for us girls to be proud of ourselves and each other.



Secondly, while my finishing time of 3.19 was a long way off my personal best (2.59.38 in 2007), I was actually pleased with my run, particularly in light of the health issues I was running with at the time – ie, extreme anaemia (for which I am now on iron replacement treatment 8 X the concentration of what I’ve been taking for the last 12 months) and an infected toe (add antibiotics to the equation). I felt like I ran a solid, even paced run, in pretty drippy conditions, and I was pleased to be 16th placed female outright.

Thirdly, like the other 9 Canberra Marathons I have run, it is always great to run at home. The comfort of your own home pre and post marathon, and the fantastic support of running mates, family and friends out on the road (also in the pouring rain!) is unsurpassable. Thanks everyone.

So, Canberra Marathon no.10 and no.36 marathon overall is done. What’s next? Good question.

5 comments:

Janene said...

Big congratulations for your Griffin status Liz! Also, well done on a fabulous run in challenging conditions! 36 thongs, WOW! :-)

Prestige said...

Such a great effort. Congrats to all three of you girls. Really am so proud of you Liz.

strewth said...

And I am proud to be your friend! Liz, you are truly amazing - 36 marathons is absolutely incredible. And 16th female overall - wow! That finish photo on your blog is a stunner - your smile says it all! xx

Margreet Dietz said...

Congratulations Liz - absolutely awesome!

Ewen said...

A huge congratulations to you Liz. 3:19 is pretty damn amazing considering those issues.

What's next? Who knows, but I'm sure you'll surprise and inspire us.