A week after running the Townsville marathon I backed up and ran the Tan Ultra 50km in Melbourne last Sunday (14 Aug). Although a marathon followed by an ultra marathon a week apart is probably not anyone's idea of "sensible", I wanted to run the Tan Ultra 50km "just because" ... Just because it was exactly a year since I ran my first 100km on the very same course. Just because I was in Melbourne for a mix of work and family reasons anyway. Just because I had several running mates running their first 100km and it was an interactive way of supporting them. And just because the opportunity was there.
Not surprisingly, I started and finished the 50km on tired legs but I was content with coming 4th female in a time of 4.23.
I don't think I'll make this coming weekend "three in a row" even though there are marathon and half marathon opportunities both in Canberra and Wagga. I'm looking forward to a couple of short, easy runs and my first "no alarm clock" day in three weeks.
5 comments:
gee whiz..your certainly not 'an ordinary marathon runner'....im a newbie who has done one...take it easy now!
Thanks for posting on my blog Paul. Well done on your first marathon. That's where it all begins..... I don't recommend my maniac approach. Instead, stay sensible - ie, train methodically, space your races out, and maintain injury free running.
"Just because" is good enough reason. If you're not at coffee today I know you'll be running Wagga ;) You'll have to do it one day - great course and people.
Definitely not running Wagga marathon today. Next year I will. See you at coffee ......
Found out today I have leave covering Melbourne (middle weekend) - just entered the 10k (half is full, but I wouldn't have run that far anyway!)
Post a Comment